Tuesday 24 March 2015

Almost at Lijiang


My journey has been a success so far. I’ve learned a good amount about how the people on this river live, and that’s exactly what I wanted to do. The river is now powering down, and I must walk along it now. It’s too steep, and too powerful. I’m now approaching the mountains. Unfortunately, I’m traveling in the summer, when water levels can get very very high, due to humongous thunderstorms. The clouds are getting gray, I think I should find shelter. I come to a village about a half mile away from the rushing river. Up here in the mountains, not many people live do to the climate. I’m lucky to have found a village. Walking up to the village, I can see that the people living there are wearing their dresses. This is very common in the Naxi religion. They must be Naxi. Now that I’ve entered the in the Yunnan Province, the Naxi people are very common. They are very welcoming, and invite me to stay the night. After having very good steamed bread and rice for dinner, we walk outside and watch a special tribal performance performed by some elders of the village. It was a very special night. The next morning, we ate some more bread and rice cakes, but when I walked outside, it was raining. The people of the village continued their normal daily routines though, despite the storm. They’re so used to it, that it doesn’t even stop them to do everything that they normally do. I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment