Tuesday 24 March 2015

Halfway between Chonquing and Lijiang


Approaching my next village, I remember that today is a very important day. Today is examination day. Today, if you take the exam and pass it, you can move up in the world, get a job in the capital, or even get another job on the countryside. People come from far and wide to take the exam. In this village, it looks like you can’t even move. People and carriages are cramping up the road, all because they want to take the exam. I can see a little kid trying to get to the other side of the road, and literally having to crawl to get there! Moving on down the river, I find out from a local villager that there are some rough times ahead. The river’s dynamic gets very intense. At one point, It drops by over 4,000 feet! 4,000 feet! When I heard that, I was blown away. That’s amazing. A few miles after that village, I see a man painting on the side of the river. I went ashore to see what he was painting. As I got closer, I suddenly realized that it was Li Bai! Li Bai is one of the most famous poets/artists of this era! Li Bai is standing a few feet in front of me! I had to ask him a few questions. I peeked over his shoulder, and I saw that he was painting a picture of the river.(Li Bai actually painted a picture of the river) “Hello” I said.. “ Hello” He responded. I ended up talking with him for a few minutes! It was one of the highlights of my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment